“Through many repeated play experiences, children can clarify and master many fundamental physical, social and intellectual skills and concepts.”
– Isenberg and Jacobs, 1982.
The Early Intervention staff will work with parents and caregivers and their infant or toddler during playgroups and natural environment visits. Playgroups are offered at the center for 1 ½ hour sessions. Natural environment visits are scheduled by the Early Intervention staff with the parents and caregivers.
What will my child do in playgroups?
- Learn through play
- Participate in a routine
- Maintain focus on an activity; attention
- Get the individual attention of a caregiver
- Watch and imitate others
- Try new ideas and activities
- Interact with a variety of people
- Participate in snack time
Caregivers will play alongside the child during playgroups and follow the lead of the child. Caregivers can feel free to ask questions of any staff during the playgroup sessions.
What will staff do in my child’s natural environment?
- Watch your child play
- Watch caregivers and others that are significant in your child’s life play with your child
- Play alongside your child
- Model strategies in order for caregivers to reach desired outcomes for your child
- Reinforce activities that you are already doing with your child in your daily routines
- Address any questions/concerns caregivers may have
Caregivers are asked to remain in the natural environment with the Early Intervention staff and the child. Typical natural environment visits will last for 30 minutes to one hour. The Early Intervention staff asks that you please give advance notice if a natural environment visit must be cancelled. You can do so by calling (937) 498-0101.
What is the role of the caregiver in the playgroup and natural environment visit?
- Play with your child and other children
- Participate in activities with your child
- Learn and get new ideas
- Be supportive and attentive of whoever is working with your child
- Model language
- Help your child develop independence
- Slow down and relax
- Communicate with other parents
- Be helpful, keep the toys picked up
- Check mailboxes each time you come to playgroup
- Tell staff about what your child is doing and share any concerns
- Abide by our sick/absence policy to keep everyone healthy
- Call us if you will not be at playgroup or need to cancel a natural environment visit at (937) 498-0101
THANK YOU for sharing your child’s development with us and letting us be a part of your lives. Through working together we know that you can be your child’s greatest teacher and that your child can grow and develop to his/her fullest potential.