The role of the itinerant (traveling) teacher is that of consultant, provider of resources, and a teacher. The itinerant teacher's main responsibility is to work with preschool teachers and parents to aid in providing appropriate experiences that are focused on learning outcomes in students Individual Education Program (IEP).
When preparing to enter kindergarten, the itinerant teacher will help with the process which includes meeting with staff and kindergarten teachers.
Services and Support
- Speech & Language Pathologist - As needed to help your child use language and offer suggestions for the child's teacher and familiy.
- Physical Therapist - If child has needs related to coordination, balance, and mobility.
- Occupational Therapist - Provides services for fine motor skills and sensory needs.
- Role model teaching techniques
- Direct teach to individual children
- Provide resources for staff and parents
- Parent and teacher training
- In-services on staff concerns
- Parent and teacher training and consultation
- Provide ideas and supports
- Help problem solve and share ideas